Mark studied architecture before heading into the ministry. He trained for 3 years at the Reformed Theological College in Belfast. After finishing his studies he married Judith and they have 3 girls, Eva, Cara and Zoe.
In 2001 he came to Letterkenny to plant a church and to pastor a church in Milford. Here’s a little about him from a newspaper interview:
1. What is your favourite way of relaxing?
Reading a good book, cycling, or walking with my wife.
2. Who are your favourite writers?
Non-religious books – Robert Ludlum, Dorothy Sayers
Christian writers – John Piper, DA Carson
3. What was the last book you read?
Pompeii by Robert Harris
4. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Heaven – no sin, no pain, no sadness, just pure happiness in the presence of God.
5. What historical figure do you most identify with?
Peter the apostle – a man who, although deeply flawed, loved to serve his Saviour.
6. Which living person do you most admire?
My mother, who copes uncomplainingly with Multiple Sclerosis.
7. Who is your favourite fictional hero?
Sherlock Holmes (& Winnie the Pooh)
8. Who are your real-life heroes?
Christians who are persecuted for their faith
9. What is your most obvious characteristic?
Some people would say my handshake, or my long stride. As for a less obvious characteristic – I lost the sight in my right eye through a sporting injury.
10. What is your greatest fear?
That people whom I care for will not accept God’s offer of forgiveness, and will end up in Hell.
11. What is the trait you most dislike in others?
Lying & self-seeking vulgarity. You can hardly watch TV, go to the cinema, read a newspaper, or listen to pop music without there being some form of crudeness, mostly for publicity.
12. What is your greatest extravagance?
13. What is your favourite journey?
Any road with nice scenery and no potholes!.
14. What do you consider the most over-rated virtue?
Tolerance. We are constantly being told that we must be tolerant of the actions and opinions of others, but there are some things that are wrong and that we must not tolerate.
15. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
Persuading my wife to marry me!
16. What is it you most dislike?
Cod liver oil!
17. Where would you like to live?
Thailand – I love Thai food
18. What is the quality you most admire in a man?
Godliness, manliness and strength of convictions
19. What is the quality you most admire in a woman?
Godliness and selflessness
20. Who has been the greatest influence on you?
Jesus Christ, my Saviour.
21. What do you like most about your job?
Seeing people grasp the message of the Bible, and watching it transform their lives.
22. What do you value most in your friends?
Honesty, understanding and a sense of humour
23. How would you like to die?
Looking forward to Heaven